Thursday 10 March 2011

"bejeweled double festooned plus skull for girls"


I saw this cluttered work by Alberta artist Chris Millar at the "It Is What It Is" exhibition at the National Gallery in Ottawa a few months ago. The exhibition featured a lot of interesting contemporary Canadian art, but this is the one that stuck with me. At the time, I had to compete with a large group of middle-aged women to get a good look at this thing, but from what I can tell it's a factory of sorts which produces brightly coloured skulls. Andrea Williamson of Shotgun Review has a detailed review that attempts to explain what's going on here.


You can see more of Millar's work here.

1 comment:

  1. Competing with middle aged women in museums is no easy task, but wow that is cool. I hope they still have that running later on in the spring. I love art that creates little worlds (well I suppose I just love little worlds).

    ReplyDelete